On Saturday 10 January 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Saturday 10 January 2009 12:26:09 Mick wrote:

> > > And yet I have never used modules for anything except Nvidia.  That has
> > > worked for me over 5 years now.  What a puzzle.
> >
> > Same here.  With three different machines I had alsa built in the kernel,
> > less that six months or so after alsa first became part of the kernel
> > (can't remember if I was running stable back then).
>
> My money says that if you track this down to the exact lines of code that
> cause the problem, you'll find something along the lines of incorrect
> B into the kernel. Plus no dev picked it up and nobody coded a check for
> it.

I noticed this when I built a kernel with sound as modules:

  CC [M]  sound/core/pcm.o
  CC [M]  sound/core/pcm_native.o
sound/core/pcm_native.c: In function 'snd_pcm_fasync':
sound/core/pcm_native.c:3255: warning: label 'out' defined but not used
  CC [M]  sound/core/pcm_lib.o
  CC [M]  sound/core/pcm_timer.o

also noticed:

  LD [M]  sound/pci/ac97/snd-ac97-codec.o
  LD      sound/synth/built-in.o
  LD      sound/usb/built-in.o
  LD      vmlinux.o
  MODPOST vmlinux.o
WARNING: modpost: Found 1 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'

> I believe the correct technical term for this is "a software bug" :-)
>
> It's usually worth the effort to report a bug, the least that can happen is
> someone else's life is easier in the future

I have filed bug 253110 for my problem (sound) but not for the OP.
--
Regards,
Mick