Grant wrote:
Does anyone know of a good (or OK) webmail client in portage that
doesn't use PHP?  I use squirrelmail now but I have PHP installed only
for that and I think PHP slows apache2 down a bit.

- Grant

I don't think you'll find anything faster except maybe written in C, which
is doubtful. The only other language you might find webmail written in is
Perl/CGI and that is definitely not faster in my experience. PHP is about as
good as you will get IMHO.

I actually don't mean to speed up squirrelmail and PHP.  The main
function of that system is to run a website in perl, and I thought I
might be bogging down apache2 a bit just by opening it up to PHP
interpretation (-D PHP).  Is that the case?  It would also be nice not
to be exposed to PHP exploits.  It just seems kind of silly to
maintain and run PHP just for webmail.

- Grant

Adding -D PHP makes your memory footprint larger, but unless you're actually using PHP that's the only side affect of loading it. If you're concerned about security, make sure you're using the sushosin USE variable and keeping PHP and Squirrelmail up to date. Regardless of which language or mail package you use you're going to have to keep them updated.

One other thing to think about is whether or not finding a Perl webmail system is going to make your life any easier. Say you do find one and it installs a ton of Perl modules like all Perl applications. Some of those will be updates of Perl modules that your actual site depends on which may or may not break the site. Now you've got two applications to QA when you update any Perl module that is a dependency of both.

kashani