Hello,

This will probably sound simplistic to most...  I'm setting up an
older Dell PC, and I used genkernel to get it up and running, but how
do I figure out which drivers I actually need without knowing for sure
which hardware I have in the machine?  Genkernel loads a lot of
drivers, and the kernel takes a very long time to compile - I
understand why, and I'm not complaining about that.  But suppose I now
wanted to set up the X server, and I don't know which graphics driver
I need to choose.  Or, suppose I wanted to compile the kernel myself,
and I don't really know which drivers I *must* select (since I don't
know which chips the machine has).  Does anyone have any tips on this?

Many thanks,
Denis