Ted Miller wrote:
> Dale wrote:
>> Ted Miller wrote:
>> > Yes, I missed that, and it did the trick (after re-emerging 11
>> > packages, including kde-libs).
>> >
>> > Where was it hidden, that I missed it?  Or is it just one of those
>> > things "you have to learn"?  Seems like the tif package should add it,
>> > or tell me to consider adding it, when the package is installed.
>>

>> Since you are new to Gentoo, use the -v and either -a or -p first.
> What command do I use those with -- emerge, euse?  So far I learned
> about flags with equery.
>
> Ted Miller

That would be emerge.  Sorry.  Should have been more clear on that.
Should look something like this:

r...@smoker / # emerge -pv gimp

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] media-gfx/gimp-2.4.6  USE="alsa curl dbus exif hal mmx
pdf png python sse svg tiff wmf -aalib (-altivec) -debug -doc -gnome
-gtkhtml -lcms -mng -smp" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
r...@smoker / #

You may want to consider using a profile that is most closely to what
you are doing.  I think eselect is what most folks use to set theirs.  I
do mine manually but may as well learn the right way while you are
learning.  There are a few of them but desktop may be the one you want.
It has a lot of USE flags already enabled.

Dale

:-)  :-)