On Friday 16 January 2009 14:22:27 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 16 Jan, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Friday 16 January 2009 13:49:04 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm still struggling with the logic of dependencies in ebuild files
> >> e.g.
> >>
> >> kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.10-r2.ebuild   contains  the line
> >>    !avahi? ( !bindist? ( net-misc/mDNSResponder !kde-misc/kdnssd-avahi ) )
> >>
> >> This causes a dependency loop since I do have 'avahi' installed
> >> which blocks net-misc/mDNSResponder but other packages need avahi.
> >
> > It may be installed, but is it in your USE?
> >
> > The output of
> > eix -e kdelibs
> > would be useful here
>
> It's a bit strange:
>
> I have the avahi use-flag in /etc/make.conf

OK

> equery uses kde-base/kdelibs   shows the avahi use-flag

I find equery uses to give silly output. It is telling you that the ebuild
looks at the avahi USE flag (i.e. it's in IUSE), not that it is actually
active for that package.

> but eix -e kde-base/kdelibs  doesn't.

eix gives the output you actually want - it tells you which flags are listed,
and is you have selected them or not for the package.

Most likely is that you have 'kdelibs -avahi' in package.use

Try these:

grep -r kdelibs /etc/portage/*
grep -r avahi /etc/portage/*

to see better what is going on