2009/1/21 Grant Edwards <gra...@visi.com>

> On 2009-01-21, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs....@nsn.com> wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, den 21.01.2009, 04:04 +0000 schrieb ext Grant Edwards:
> >
> >> I'm a little confused. Is there supposed to be an additional
> >> installation step to populate the /dev directory when using
> >> recent stage3 snapshots?
> >
> > One usually bind-mounts /dev, /proc and /sys into the chroot, like
> >
> > mount --bind /dev /newinstall/dev # dito for /proc, /sys
> > chroot /newinstall
>

> > If this isn't documented, you should file a bug.
>
> That's docuemented in the "normal" install doc, but not in the
> quick install doc.
>
> But, that doesn't really solve the problem, since after a
> reboot the /dev directory will be empty again and you end up
> with problems such as no console during startup.
>
> --
> Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! RELATIVES!!
>                                  at
>                               visi.com

IIRC thats because  /dev should be populated on startup by udev so i would
check that udev is installed and working properly, if you use openrc then
this could be the cause as openrc now starts udev through normal scripts i
think, sometimes on upgrade from baselayout 1 they may not be automatically
added to the right runlevels.

- Nick