On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Mike Kazantsev
<mike_kazant...@fraggod.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 04:03:52 +0100
> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerar...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> so, could you please answer mine now:
>> why should pam be used in the first place on a usual server/desktop which has
>> restricted access anyway?
>
> I find it useful to control user-based access to different services in
> one place, disallow remote access of any kind for local users.

Oh, but as Volker has already said, 90% of the users don't care about that.

> Also it allows to use same credentials for pretty much anything -
> mounting LUKS-encrypted home dir at login (to any service) or using
> pgp keys, for example.

LUKS-encrypted home dir!!?? 90% of the user don't know what's that!

Wait a minute. 90%. Where have I seen that figure?

90%... 90%.. hmm

Windows market share figures!!!

See? Volker is right!!! 90% of the users don't care!

I'm sorry Volker, don't kill me. I just couldn't resist :)

Best regards everyone,
Norberto