Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2009-01-25, Grant Edwards <gra...@visi.com> wrote:

>>> A missing /dev/console stops the boot process here. It boots
>>> without /dev/null, but only after udev spews out a load of
>>> messages.
>>>
>> Ah, not to worry: I've been assured in the gentoo forum thread
>> that the problems we see when the root filesystem doesn't have
>> proper /dev/null and /dev/console nodes aren't really
>> happening:
>>
>>   Neither /dev/null nor /dev/console are needed at boot-time,
>>   therefore their absence doesn't cause problems.
>>

> For posterity's sake, one of the problems that wasn't happening
> was that my root partition always had to be recovered at
> startup -- it apparently wasn't getting properly unmounted
> during shutdown.  After re-creating the root partition's /dev
> tree, that was cured.
>
> This leads one to suspect that the block device node for the
> root partition (/dev/hda3 in my case) is also required along
> with /dev/null and /dev/console for proper start-up and
> shut-down.

Well just to confirm that this is not happening, I ran into the same
thing a good while back when I was transferring my system from one disk
to another.  I didn't copy /dev, /sys, /proc and something else.  I had
to reboot from the CD and copy all the /dev/stuff so I could boot.  At
the time I didn't know what I "didn't" have to have.

Note there is a bit of sarcasm there.  It appears that they are needed
but some just "think" we don't.  My rig, Abit NF7 mobo with a AMD 2500+
rig using udev like I guess everybody else is.

Weird.

Dale

:-)  :-)