On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My Gentoo router's wireless network is encrypted via WPA and doesn't
> DHCP.  I'd like to take this a step further in case my WPA key gets
> hacked.  Can I issue only certain IPs to certain MAC addresses?
>
> Does WPA2 require hardware support?

I don't think so. It should just be a driver/firmware update if you've
got some device that supports WPA and not WPA2. The AES encryption of
WPA2 requires a little more hardware power than WEP or WPA normally
uses, but I don't think it needs any special chip or anything like
that.

You can also do VPN over your wifi connection, and require it for
access to the rest of your network or the internet. At least then if
someone hacks your wireless key, they still can't do anything without
having your VPN certificate.