Harry Putnam wrote:
Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuk...@genestate.com> writes:

I know its a little OT, but I have to mention ZFS. It'll mean running
Solaris or FreeBSD in order to get the best out of it, but it's worth
it.

I changed my fileserver from a gentoo box with software raid and lvm
over to ZFS on OpenSolaris and I haven't looked back. Gentoo is still
my main OS but I think you just can't beat ZFS for a filer.

Matt, I'm interested in quizzing you further on this so will ask the
main question here.  But, if you don't mind I'd like to talk to you
off list at more length.  Maybe a few pointer getting Opensolaris
setup with the ZFS or the like.

Are you backing up any windows boxes onto the ZFS? Is it just a matter
of making it available by way of samba/cifs?

I'm using it for both attached storage via ISCSI, and standard sharing on a domain via cifs. I've got backups running from linux and windows boxes onto it.

Your list email address looks like it might be a phony (I didn't try
it) but mine isn't so if you don't mind the personal contact please
let me know and I'll write direct.

Well I didn't realise my address looked fake :P It is real and I'd be happy to try and answer your questions to the best of my ability.

Matt