On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Grant Edwards <gra...@visi.com> wrote:
> AFAICT, the "performance" benefit due to compiler optimization
> is practically nil in real-world usage.

It used to make a difference, but not anymore with today microprocessors.

> In my experience the huge benefit of source-based distros such
> as Gentoo is elimination of the library dependency-hell that
> mires other binary-based distros.

maybe redhat had that problem, but others (debian based distros for
example) doesn't have dep hell AFAICS (I run Debian and Ubuntu based
servers and desktops)

> The second benefit is that with Gentoo, upgrading a system
> actually works over the long-run.  With RedHat/Mandrake, things
> would gradually deteriorate to the point where the system was
> unmaintainable,

Same point. Maybe only a problem with RH.

> The third main benefit I've seen is that there are vastly more
> packages available for Gentoo.

Hm.. Depends on what packages you're interested. You have no
commercial support if you run Gentoo from -for example- VMware.

> Putting together and
> maintaining an ebuild appears to take a lot less work than
> putting together and maintaining a binary RPM package.

Maybe. I haven't tried to make a RPM package, but I tried DEB. It's
almost as easy as with Gentoo.

> Are the real benefits of Gentoo too hard to explain to the
> unwashed masses, so instead they're told the fairy tale about
> imporoved performance?

Gentoo has -from my point of view- only one benefit: if you're a
developer, you'll love Gentoo as every dev-dependency is already
installed. Other than that, I see none.

Now, if Gentoo devs could be as kind as -for example- Ubuntu devs,
that would rock. But they aren,t and so -after 7 years- I'm looking
for another distro to migrate to. Kubuntu is one of my favorites. I'm
testing Fedora and openSuSE. Who will win?

Gentoo just doesn't make sense anymore for me - unless you're a masochist :)