Momesso Andrea wrote:
Looks like my ISP allows both PPPoE and PPPoA. After some superficial googling it looks like PPPoE is preferred over
ethernet modems and PPPoA over USB ones... Is it true?

Nope. PPPoA is preferred generally, although not strongly so. The difference should be very minor, but if it's for free, why not use it?

By the way what I need to do is to enable CONFIG_ATM and
CONFIG_PPPOATM in the kernel and reemerge ppp with the "atm" USE flag.

Then I need to change " plugins_ppp1=( "pppoe") " into " plugins_ppp1=( "pppoa vc-encaps") " in my /etc/conf.d/net.

Is that all I need to have PPPoA working?

Not sure, since I'm on a DSL NAT router/modem that connects to my ISP with PPPoA and to the PC with ethernet. But you can just try and see.