Um, you are using the HAL weather you want to or not, it's not really an option!

The HARDWARE ABSTRACTION LAYER with respect to good ol linux happens
to be your kernel and it's drivers.

The bare metal registers within which all those bits are moved is
called the hardware; all those configuration files and source you
compile is considered the software, anything that creates the
transparency between the two is refereed to as the HAL (In windows 98
it was a single DLL file), in Linux it's the source code and binaries
of the kernel and drivers, all modern computers regardless of low
level arch have a HAL.

Regards,
Hazen.

--