On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 16:47 +0000, James wrote:
> Iain Buchanan <iaindb <at> netspace.net.au> writes:
>

> > Does that mean my memory card is good to go, or should I use some other
> > method of bad sector detection?
>
> Hello Iain,

Hi James!

[snip]

> Here are a couple of links for your perusal:

Unfortunately I'm travelling, and the company here has a draconian
internet policy that doesn't allow much of anything.  I'll have to check
them out in a couple of weeks.

> Sorry, there is not a clear answer. Keep it for non critical needs,
> upgrade to SDHC(fat 32) if your equipment supports that format.

unfortunately not!

> Fat 32 on top of the memory, helps with (bit)error masking with
> some enhance (undocumented) feature not part of fat 32. This is
> what makes reverse engineering, complicated on SD memory.
> You may need to upgrade the firmware of your equipment to  support
> newer SD standards (SD 1.1 and SD 2.0).

not much chance of that either (camera).  The more I look into it, the
solid state features (moving bad blocks around in firmware and hiding it
from the system) make me think it's time to throw it out anyway...

> Good luck and good hunting (mate).....

cheers, mate!

I might have gone to West Point, but I was too proud to speak to a congressman.
                -- Will Rogers