james wrote:
> Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Basically, sets start with @ and you would just emerge like a meta,
>> emerge @kde-4.2 (or whatever). You can do "emerge --list-sets" to see
>> which are available to you. Rather than being meta listed in
>> /var/lib/portage/world the sets will be listed in
>> /var/lib/portage/world_sets
>>

> Very cool.
>

> I'll give it a shot.
>

> James

Sorry to butt in here.  I !think! I get what sets does, you add a group
of packages to a file and then when you do the @sets thing, it
emerges/upgrades that group of packages.  I get that part.  I guess from
what I am reading that we the user OR the tree devs can create a sets
file.  So I could create a set called network and put things like Kppp,
ppp, wireshark and all the networky things in there for my use alone.  I
assume that the tree devs can also create a sets file with say all the
KDE packages or maybe all the system packages in it for everybody to
use.  Would that be correct?

I'm going to jump off a cliff here and ask this.  How would I emerge
kde-meta-4.2 and all its friends without using layman or anything, just
a plain emerge @kde-meta and go to bed for a while?  This would be using
the sets feature too.  I am using portage-2.2_rc23 so I should be ready
to go with the new sets feature.

Oh, is there a really good howto somewhere?  Real simple non-geek
speak.  Cool examples would be really nice. I looked around gentoo.org
but nothing really spells it out.  I did find a HUGE thread about it but
still not registering for me.  I need a light bulb moment.  O_O

Dale

:-)  :-)