Joshua Murphy wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> I from time to time will go to a console and do a rc single to go to
>> single user mode.  I have noticed something weird when I go back to rc
>> default tho.  On the #1 console, it acts and looks like I am logged out
>> but when I type in the user name root, it acts like it is a command.
>> Same with the password.  However, if I just type in a command, it spits
>> that back out too.  It doesn't seem to like a login or a command.
>>
>> It did this a bit ago.  I just typed in junk and let it reach the bad
>> login limit and reset the console.  It then gave me a login and let me
>> do a legitimate login.  It cleared the screen which is what is in
>> .bash_login so I know I am logged in.
>>
>> This is just sort of weird to me.  The screen when it gets through
>> starting services looks just like it does when I reboot.  I see the last
>> few services at the top then my login prompt at the bottom.  Everything
>> looks normal but it's not.  What can I check?  Is this normal?  When I
>> type in rc default should something reset tty1 so that a new login is
>> required?  It acts like it is still logged in as root which could be a
>> security problem for some.  Just curious really.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>

> Sounds like it's not closing out of the existing shell on the terminal
> but is till starting a login process on top of it. The lazy fix is to,
> when you go single user, throw a " & logout" on the end of the command
> to make sure the shell closes out.
>
> If you want to poke around and see, for certain, that it is doing what
> I'd guess it is.. change your inittab and add another login in single
> user mode on tty2, log in, and check "w" for an active session on
> another tty.

Well, what I noticed is that when I go to single user, I have to type in
my password again.  I would think it would do the same when going the
other way around.  I'll go single user here in a little bit and try that
"w" command and see what it says.  I just thought it weird that it is
doing this way and was curious whether it is the standard or something
specific to me.

Thanks

Dale

:-)  :-)