daid kahl wrote:

2009/2/15 daid kahl <daid...@gmail.com <mailto:daid...@gmail.com>>

        )On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 20:05 +0900, daid kahl wrote:
        > I was bored and playing around with macchanger to change my
        Wireless
        > MAC address, and wireless has not worked since, even though
        I'm using
        > my hardware MAC address again.  I'm usually using
        NetworkManager, but

Well, no obvious solutions after 7 hours of actively trying things, so I'll restore from backup. For those interested, I deleted files from /var/lib/dhcpbd, and this allowed me to get new IP addresses, but all within the faulty subdomain of California. I tried on another wireless networks, and still my machine tries to assign me an IP within the California domain. I reinstalled my entire networking software (short of a kernel recompile), and deleted and remade any network configuration files I could find that might be relevant, and still the problem persisted. I used wicd to assign myself static IP and DNS with known values that are functional, and then the network was recognized, but I could not access anything.
It's not a California address. It's an IPv4LL address, used when a dhcp server can't be found adn is related to the zeroconf useflag the other poster mentioned. Read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_configuration_networking