At Sun, 15 Feb 2009 08:46:37 -0500 Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:

> At Sun, 15 Feb 2009 09:40:42 +0200 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday 14 February 2009 01:50:38 Allan Gottlieb wrote:
>>> Recently evince stopped working on one of my machines, ajglap.
>>>
>>> For every pdf, evince opens a window and complains
>>>   unable to open document
>>>   unhandled mime type
>>
>> As you use evince, you may be a gnome user, so this might not help you. I
>> recently had all my kde associations and (very surprisingly) a number of
>> others from other DEs go scrambled. Rebuilding kdelibs fixed all of it.
>>
>> I never did figure out how this could occur. Possibly it's something to do
>> with DEs converging on freedesktop.org standards, so an oopsie in one can
>> have
>> system-wide side0effects.
>
> Yes, I should have mentioned that I am a gnome user.
> Thank you for responding.

Removing the file ~/.local/share/mime/mime.cache ended the problem.
The last modify date was 2006 and the failure started this month so it
wasn't the contents changing.  I am guessing that a new version of
something does not like this old file.

At any rate, evince now handles pdf files as it used to.

allan