On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 15:30 -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> I've had a lot of problems with X today.  I finally got X back up, but
> when I went to check MythTV, it didn't work.  I started tracking down
> the problem.  I went into mythtv-setup and it said that it couldn't find
> any video inputs, so I examined /dev/v4l/video0.  What I found was
> really confusing:
>
> camille ~ # ls -l /dev/v4l
> total 0
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 81,  64 Feb 18 09:20 radio0
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 81, 224 Feb 18 09:20 vbi0
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 81,   0 Feb 18 09:20 video0
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 81,  24 Feb 18 09:20 video24
> crw-rw---- 1 root video 81,  32 Feb 18 09:20 video32
> camille ~ # cat /dev/v4l/video0
> cat: /dev/v4l/video0: No such device or address
>

> Is it there, or isn't it?  I don't know if it matters, but when I was
> trying to fix the X problem, I built and booted with a new kernel:

This is most likely completely unrelated to your issues with X.  This is
a problem with your tuner card or its drivers.

If you compiled a new kernel did you remember to re-compile any
out-of-tree kernel modules?  Are you sure the tuner drivers have the
correct (versions of) firmware to load?  Did you check dmesg?

-a