On Montag 23 Februar 2009, Dale wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm wanting to experiment a little with the new sets feature of
> portage.  I have searched around the forums, even looked at gentoo wiki
> and read a few man pages.  I can not find a good link to a how to for
> sets.  I would like to have a couple things if someone has them.  1) a
> link to a good how to.  2) could someone send me a copy of a sets file
> for something like KDE or something.  Just something I can use for a
> template if you would.
>
> Thanks much.  Oh, yea, I may be about to break something.  I got my
> backups up to date tho.  o_O
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

put sets file in /etc/portage/sets

example:
cat /etc/portage/sets/qt-copy
=x11-libs/qt-assistant-4.4.9999
=x11-libs/qt-core-4.4.9999
=x11-libs/qt-dbus-4.4.9999
=x11-libs/qt-gui-4.4.9999
=x11-libs/qt-opengl-4.4.9999
=x11-libs/qt-qt3support-4.4.9999
=x11-libs/qt-script-4.4.9999
=x11-libs/qt-sql-4.4.9999
=x11-libs/qt-svg-4.4.9999
=x11-libs/qt-test-4.4.9999
=x11-libs/qt-webkit-4.4.9999
=x11-libs/qt-xmlpatterns-4.4.9999

you are done. Really, there is no magic about sets. You put all the packet-
atoms you want into a file, put the file into /etc/portage/sets and emerge
@setname. That's it.

Or look at this:
cat /usr/local/portage/layman/kde-testing/sets/kde-4.2
# We don't include kdesdk on the global set
kde-base/kdelibs:4.2
kde-base/kdepimlibs:4.2
kde-base/kate:4.2
kde-base/kdeplasma-addons:4.2
kde-base/kde-l10n:4.2

@kdeaccessibility-4.2
@kdeadmin-4.2
@kdeartwork-4.2
@kdebase-4.2
@kdeedu-4.2
@kdegames-4.2
@kdegraphics-4.2
@kdemultimedia-4.2
@kdenetwork-4.2
@kdepim-4.2
@kdetoys-4.2
@kdeutils-4.2

#for developers
#...@kdebindings-4.2
#...@kdesdk-4.2
#...@kdewebdev-4.2

so as you can see - a set can be create out of other sets.