On Tuesday 24 February 2009 19:18:03 Peter Humphrey wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> After a power failure a few days ago, kmail-1.9.9 now has one message in
> one folder that can't be read, viewed, moved or deleted. It's shown at the
> top of the list instead of near the bottom, and nothing I can think of will
> make any change to it.
>
> Can anyone suggest a reasonably safe approach to getting rid of it? I don't
> mind losing it as long as I don't lose anything else.

You are probably using maildir for your mail - it's the default. Shut down
kmail completely. Go to ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail/<folder>/cur, and delete
the actual file. grep can help you find it even if only by identifying the
files that isn't it.

Then delete the relevant index files in ~/.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail.
Your inbox for example is called .inbox.index.* and there will be three of
them.

Restart kmail, it will rebuild it's indexes and all will be well.

(With KDE-4, change those paths to ~/.kde4/....

> I suppose I could delete my home directory, create a new one and import
> kmail's stuff from the old to the new, together with other applications'
> stuff, but I don't know any way to import filters, and anyway it's an awful
> fag.

Don't delete your home dir! kmail keeps it's mail there and you will lose the
lot.
--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com