Alan McKinnon schrieb:
> On Thursday 26 March 2009 19:47:05 Florian Philipp wrote:
>> Hi list!
>>
>> A quick question:
>>
>> If i install Gentoo on a system with a kernel version 2.6.9 (don't ask
>> ...),
>
> Wow. That kernel is what 4? 5? years old

Yep, I was surprised myself. It is a virtual machine (formerly SuSE).
Therefore I have no influence on the kernel. I'm wondering whether I'm
even safe when running such an antique system.

>> are there issues I should be aware of?
>
> Plenty.
>
> First off, udev is unlikely to work for a start, so you will either need to
> remember how we did it way bask in '05, or use a static /dev

Hmm, maybe this is no issue in a v-server. God knows what happens in the
background. (Okay, okay, SOURCE knows what happens, too, but I'm
unwilling to read it ;) )

> I'm sure there are many more, I just can;t think of the details about the
> other points you raised.

Well, I'll just try. In the worst case I'll ask whether I can pay for a
kernel update or a transfer to another host system.