Jarry schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> today after syncing I found new version of GCC being available,
> "emerge --pretend --update --deep --newuse world" shows:
>
> [ebuild  NS   ] sys-devel/gcc-4.3.2-r3 [4.1.2] USE="..."
>
> I found a "Gentoo GCC Upgrade Guide", but it deals with GCC 3.x,
> or 3.x->4.x. Should I follow that guide when upgrading 4.x version
> of GCC too? In a summary, the upgrade guide recommends this way:
>
> # emerge -uav gcc
> # gcc-config x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.2-r3
> # env-update && source /etc/profile
> # emerge --oneshot -av libtool
> # emerge -eav system
> # emerge -eav world
> # emerge -aC =sys-devel/gcc-4.1.2
>
> I'm asking just to be sure, because I have such a bad feeling,
> that screwing up gcc upgrade might render my system unusable...
>
> Jarry

You don't need to follow this guide. Just emerge and you'll be fine.
However, you might want to make adjustments to CFLAGS (especially when
you have a newer CPU, there are new -march settings for your chip) and
reemerge cpu-intensive programs and maybe important libraries like glibc
to profit from the new features.