On Friday 03 April 2009 18:59:24 Wyatt Epp wrote:

> I was curious...what have people [...] noticed that is mildly irritating
> and disruptive to the Gentoo experience?

/usr/portage/profiles/use.desc and ...use.local.desc (though "mildly" isn't
the word I'd use). For the most part they remind me of the old programming
style that added such fatuous comments as "Set X = 1" to the simple
assignment.

These files are recommended in the installation documents as a source of
information to guide decisions. With some notable exceptions, they give no
such thing.

I raised a bug complaining of this not long ago, which received one reply.
Then silence. It's too hard a job, requiring understanding, imagination and
a flair with words.

It's also the hardest stumbling block in the way of a new installer.

--
Rgds
Peter