Ok, I'm out of ideas on this one.
On my laptop, I always had an issue with eth0; during boot, I got a
warning "no configuration found for eth0, assuming dhcp" despite the
fact that in /etc/conf.d/net I had config_eth0=( "dhcp" ). (btw, the
same config has always worked fine in any other computer, ie no
warnings). That has been like that for ages, but I did not care too much
since in the end what I wanted for eth0 was dhcp, and that is what I was
getting anyway, and I never bothered to find out more (yes, I should
have).

Now I don't want to start eth0 at boot anymore (only wlan0), so I
commented out the config_eth0=( "dhcp" ) in /etc/conf.d/net, and did a
rc-update del net.eth0 default (which correctly deleted net.eth0 from
the default runlevel). Sure enough, net.eth0 is not part of any runlevel
now:

# rc-update -a show
               acpid |      default
            bootmisc | boot
             checkfs | boot
           checkroot | boot
               clock | boot
         consolefont | boot
              hdparm |      default
            hostname | boot
            iptables |      default
             keymaps | boot
               local |      default nonetwork
          localmount | boot
             modules | boot
              net.lo | boot
            netmount |      default
          net.tap100 |      default
           net.wlan0 |      default
           rmnologin | boot
              splash |      default
                sshd |      default
            sysklogd |      default
             urandom | boot
          vixie-cron |      default
                 xfs |      default

Nonetheless, at boot I keep getting the "no configuration found for eth0,
assuming dhcp" warning, and it stubbornly tries to bring up eth0 using
dhcp. As far as I can tell, no other initscript depends on net.eth0 (but
I may not be looking in the right place).

Any ideas?

Thank you.