On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Momesso Andrea wrote:

>>> After the mess with my updates yesterday, I wish portage had a undo
>>> feature.  Something like emerge --undo-updates world that puts
>>> everything back to the way it was before a recent upgrade.  Maybe even
>>> make it so we can set a stable point and return to that.  Crap, that
>>> sounds like something windoze has.  o_O  I still think it would be a
>>> cool idea.  Sometimes upgrades cause all kinds of issues and need to be
>>> undone.  Going back to a known stable point would be great.
>>>
>>> Now someone tell me this exists already.  lol  They have added so much
>>> to portage lately I haven't been able to keep up.
>>>

>> I don't think portage has this option, and I hope it will never.
>>
>> Suppose you have to deal with a big upgrade (that icludes glibc) and the
>> next day you tell portage to rollback...
>>
>> I prefer the old way, read the emerge log (or use genlop), and rollback
>> manually. FEATURES="buildsyspkg" can be helpful when you break mission
>> critical stuff.
>>
>> ---
>> TopperH
>> http://topperh.blogspot.com
>>

> In that case, portage can tell you it can't roll back.  It could even
> tell you that before the upgrade.  The thing about yesterday, I had no
> keyboard or mouse.  If I hadn't wrote down how to add softlevel=boot on
> the end of the grub boot line, I have no idea what I would have done at
> that point.
>
> Of course, it would have also been nice if hal had just wrote to a log
> that it couldn't find the proper driver or whatever for the keyboard
> and/or mouse then defaulted to the old way.  That has to be better than
> being forced to unplug a computer without a proper shutdown.
>
> Just tossing ideas for something more positive in the future.
>
> Dale

I think everyone on ~arch had the no keyboard/mouse problem many
months ago (including me, luckily i have more than 1 computer and was
able to ssh in to make the needed changes), and there were dozens
(hundreds?) of threads here and on the forums about people having this
problem and how to fix it, so I am /shocked/ that "they" didn't put a
warning on the ebuild telling you what you might need to do before you
restart X the next time. It seems like it would help cure people from
running into that problem. Or make X depend on evdev when hal USE flag
is enabled, or change the xorg.conf to have the needed settings, or
something other than just forcing people to learn the hard way.