In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am having problems with some webpages in FireFox as well as Eclipse.
> Fonts are totally garbled. It looks like they were written with chalk
> and then somebody wiped over them. A redraw fixes is sometimes but
> then it gets garbled again. I am using nvidia-drivers 96.XX for legacy
> reasons.

One of my machines runs a GeForce4 card and uses the legacy 96.XX
drivers.

> Anybody got a clue how to fix this? Do I need to change something in
> xorg.conf?

I had the same problems with font smudging in *all* programs and on the
kde desktop. It was almost impossible to even read the start menu.

I solved the problem by adding nvidia-drivers
(x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers ~x86) to /etc/portage/package.keywords. The
latest 96.XX driver was installed which was 96.43.11

You do need:

>=x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-100.00.00

in /etc/portage/package.mask so that the latest (~x86) 96.XX driver will be
installed.

I'm not sure if it will work for you, but maybe it's work a try.

--
Regards,

Gregory.
Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power