Neil Bothwick writes:
> On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 06:41:53 +0100, Mick wrote:
> > How can I use this on a gentoo machine (I understand that it won't be
> > maintained by portage).
>
> Use rpm2targz to turn it into a tarball, then unpack it into your
> root filesystem (after first checking the contents).

Or into the /usr/local hierarchy to keep the stuff separated - who knows
what this would overwrite. I would even consider using xstow for this:

emerge xstow
rpm2targz packageXXX.el5.i386.rpm
mkdir -p /usr/local/stow/packageXXX
tar -C /usr/local/stow/packageXXX -xf packageXXX.tgz
cd /usr/local/stow
xstow packageXXX

xtow creates symlinks, so /usr/local/stow/packageXXX/bin/foo will also be
found in /usr/local/bin/foo, and so on. To uninstall, just call xstow -D
packageXXX from /usr/lcoal/stow, and remove the packageXXX diretory.

        Wonko