김무성 writes:

> For installing vmware
>
> My kernel version is 2.6.24-gentoo-r5. But I have no source files.
>
> So I downloaded source files. But that’s version 2.6.27-gentoo-r8.
>
> When I installed vmware, it told me kernel version and kernel source
> files’ version no match.
>
> I have to kernel upgrade.
>
> I entered “genkernel all”
>
> And vi /boot/grub/grub.conf
[...]
> And reboot.
>
> But can’t boot.
>
> There is an error.
>
> >> Determining root device...
>
> !! Could not find the root block device in .

I think you will have to re-configure your kernel. The SATA drivers have
moved into another section, have a look at the "Device
Drivers" -> "Serial ATA" section. If kernel configuration is new to you,
you can also boot from a knoppix live cd, and get the kernel config
from /proc/config.gz.
Or install an older kernel, 2.6.24-r8 is still in portage. It is outdated,
but at least your old .config (assuming you still have it, either on your
hard desk or in /proc/config.gz) would probably work.

        Wonko