I would like to thank everyone who responded for taking the time and
explaining ways how my goal can be accomplished.

I did look into how a patch may be written, but basically, in my case,
I just needed to tweak a couple constants in the Rasmol source code.
I haven't educated myself on how to patch or deal with patches yet,
and I'm sort of pressed for time, so I just tweaked the source code
and installed the package by performing ebuild steps manually.

While that may not be a satisfying method in general, my task was very
simple, and this did the job quickly.  If I had a more massive task,
or series of tasks, then I'd certainly look into how to deal with
patches and overlays.

Again, thanks to this wonderful community :-)

-Denis