From: Simon <turne...@gmail.com>

Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 14:14:56
To: <gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] telephony

> You seem to want to know the difference, FXO vs FXS.  If I got this wrong,
> just
> delete it.  FXS is meant to interface to a telephone set, so it gives talk
> battery and (as needed) ringing current.  FXO is meant to interface to a line
> from a telco switch, so it accepts battery (if the circuit it's hooked up to
> doesn't give talk battery, you have no circuit) and expects to be rung into,
> so
> it detects ringing battery.  Most of the time, both FXO's and FXS's offer
> options to operate in loop start (regular POTS) or ground start mode.  Write
> me
> if you need more on that last.  Options like reverse battery aren't usually
> offered in FXO/FXS cards.  You usually have to give a FXS card your own source
> of ringing battery, not FXO, because an FXO is expecting to have ringing
> battery
> sent to it (from the telco switch it's connected to) to begin with.

This brought an idea in my mind...  the phone lines in our houses here
in Quebec,Canada are set so the line comes into the house at one point
(called dmark i think) then it is spread around.  if there is no
service, then there is no dialtone, if one phone is used, then all
phones can hear the conversation if picked up.  normal stuff.
but what if i were to setup a pc to work with asterisk and somehow
plugged a FXS (i guess?) card to any phone jack in the house.  then
any normal phone would be networked to that FXS card and anything done
on them will go through the PC (the pc will actually take care of
sending a dialtone, etc...)  am i correct, is this possible (to use
the existing POTS infrastructure)?

Thanks