Hi,

I had manually built (via my own local overlay) more recent versions of
large chunks of X to get around some slugish performance on my Intel
based setup. However I noticed by xf86-video-intel driver got
downgraded today due to an updated package.mask with the message:

R?mi Cardona <r...@gentoo.org> (29 Apr 2009)
# packages currently in the x11 overlay which will soon be moved to portage
# see bug #260582 for xorg-server 1.6.1 issues
# see bug #174434 for xcb-related issues (not all are blocker)

Which is great but what do I do in the meantime?

I thought I may as well try the x11 overlay so added it to layman but
obviously the package mask is still in effect. I assume the manually
editing /usr/portage/profile/package.mask will cause problems when the
package.mask is updated. I can see the overlay has it's own profile
stuff that prevents dev builds (99999) being built accidentally but
nothing that overides the profile mask settings.

Basically I'm a little lost on how to run recent X11 (myself or via
the x11 overlay) the "correct" way until the packages finally make it
into the portage tree.

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
CV: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/cv.php