On Monday 04 May 2009 18:10:50 Saphirus Sage wrote:
> Jim Cunning wrote:
> > I´m trying to get OpenOffice 3.0.0 to recognize and enter French accented
> > characters (e.g., ´   + e or ^ + a , etc.) I´ve set up KDE keyboard
> > layouts and can get the proper characters displayed on console, xterm,
> > kmail and other windows, but the dead key combinations in OpenOffice are
> > simply dead--no characters produced at all.  When switching back to the
> > US layout without dead keys, the same key presses to OpenOffice produce
> > two characters, as one would expect.
> >
> > I do this all the time with OpenOffice on my laptop with openSUSE 10.3.
> > Is there something I´ve not setup correctly on my gentoo system?
>
> Did you remember to compile OpenOffice with "LINGUAS=fr"? May be
> something to consider adding to your make.conf to get around
> language/localization issues.

I'm not sure that's what I need.  I would like OpenOffice to be in English,
not French, but do want to be able to enter accented characters as used in
French, German, etc., when I select the us-intl keyboard layout.

Where can I get documentation on the environment variables OpenOffice build
uses, and how OpenOffice uses alternate keyboard layouts?  I've googled, but
nothing I've encountered describes how to avoid my situation.
--
Jim