--- On Thu, 5/21/09, Alex Schuster <wo...@wonkology.org> wrote:

> From: Alex Schuster <wo...@wonkology.org>
> Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: -march=auto
> To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> I just wrote:
>
> > > Could also perhaps try -march=auto if you're
> using a version of GCC
> > > that supports it.
>
> Oh, it's -march=native.
>
> > BTW, is there a possibility to let gcc tell what flags
> it will actually
> > use with -march=auto?
>
> Paul Hartman just posted a link to a script that seems to
> do what I was
> looking for in the "[OT]eee 900a intel atom is what
> processor family?"
> thread: <http://www.pixelbeat.org/scripts/gcccpuopt>
>
> But it suggests using -march=k8 - isn't that a 64-bit-only
> thing? I'm not

For an 900A w/intel Atom?

This is what I get:

Warning: Your compiler supports the -march=native option which you may prefer
Warning: Newer versions of GCC better support your CPU with -march=atom
-march=core2 -mtune=pentium -mfpmath=sse.

Now I'm confused. It says *my* compiler supports -march=native. Then it says
"Newer versions". Isn't v4.3.2 new? It was from a new pkg about a month ago. Is
it giving me a choice here? Can I really declare two -march variables? What
about mtune and mfpath, are they meant to be "instead of" or "in addition to"?
What goes in the kernel config? What in /etc/paludis/bashrc?

Maxim

favourite sites. Download it now
http://ca.toolbar.yahoo.com.