Thank you very much for your clear answers.

Now my touchpad works although I didn't change anything but I have
recompiled HAL (with dell USE flag) and the drivers.

In the early stage, not knowing precisely what filename to use I have
used the file name "99-x11-synaptics.fdi". It is still so but I will
change it while tuning its configuration.

My touchpad wasn't responding. And I realize now that it wasn't even
recognized at all (not in list : xinput list).

I have a DELL computer but I didn't have the "dell" USE flag for HAL so
I activated it and recompiled HAL. I did recompile xf86-input-synaptics
and xf86-input-evdev just in case.
I have restarted the HAL daemon but it wasn't working better.
I have rebooted my computer and the touchpad is now running fine.
And now I have this new entry in the xinput list :
"AlpsPS/2 ALPS GlidePoint"      id=3    [XExtensionPointer]

I just can guess that HAL could not recognize the touchpad by itself
and it needed new (fresh recompiled) driver support and a reloading of
the kernel (== reboot). I really am in the fog but I can walk on it.

Thank you very much for your enlightment.

:)
Red.