Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
On Sonntag 31 Mai 2009, Roy Wright wrote:
java - portability was one of the original design goals

and it is still ugly. Also very funny and old bugs.

Given the OP's question (identical look and feel across platforms a very high priority) he should really check out Java and Swing:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/lookandfeel/plaf.html

qt4 - some kde apps are starting to be portable

kde always was portable. Also developed as a cross plattform lib. Lots of windows apps already use qt. Great documentation. Lots of language bindings, nicer licensing.

Yes, I'd say qt is the other one to check.

gtk+ might mean trouble, IIRC different gtk+ versions didn't use to live so nicely on a Windows box. GIMP and some other program required different versions of gtk+ on Windows when I last tried -- and the Highlander paid a visit: "there can be only one ..." (Maybe they've fixed that? Or was it about Windows not being too tolerant about different versions of libraries?)

... but anyway I'm mostly classificable as a server-side java dude, and don't know the more obscure choices with GUIs that well. So, my opinions are worth their weight in uranium (hazardous material, need proper handling, not suitable for most uses, keep away from the reach of children ;) ).

--
Arttu V.