On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 1:02 AM, Joerg Schilling
<joerg.schill...@fokus.fraunhofer.de> wrote:
> Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It seems that the command
>>
>> readcd -c2scan
>>
>> fails on both of my drives for all media types - retail CDs, copies of
>> CDs on CR-R and CD-RW. It always hangs. It hangs at different places
>> if I rerun it.
>
> If it fails with different drives from different manufacturers, try to
> run if from a differnt OS in order to verify whether you are a victim of
> a long term Linux kernal bug that modifies SCSI commands on their way to the
> drive.
>
> Jörg

Expand please.

Run it on a different OS? The machine is dual-boot Gentoo/XP but your
site doesn't seem to have an updated Windows version. (Unless it's not
in the win32 directory.)

I presume you did not mean 'different kernel' as your assertion is
that the bug is long-standing and therefore will be in other kernels.

How do I run in another OS? Build recent source under Windows and
somehow run it there? I'm up for trying that but I'm not a developer,
don't have a Win 32 compiler, and wouldn't know where to start. Does
gcc run under Windows? Could I compile in Linux for Windows and test
the drive under Windows that way?

Thanks!

- Mark