On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 07:09:56PM +0400, Andrew Gaydenko wrote
> On Saturday 06 June 2009 18:07:53 Alex Schuster wrote:
> > Alt-SysRq-R will allow you to switch to a text console with Ctrl-Alt-Fn.
> >
> >     Wonko
>
> Unfortunately didn't help - still black screen during switching attempts.

  It may be something as simple as blindly typing the command "reset"
(without the quotes) just after doing Ctrl-Alt-Fn.  That will only work
if you have a command prompt open and waiting.  A more heavy-handed
method is to use acpid to tell your system that a short tap on the "big
power button" kicks you over to text console 1, rather than doing a
reboot.  Yes, acpid works with desktops, as well as laptops.

as root...
cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig
  Power management options (ACPI, APM)  --->
    [*] Power Management support
        ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
          [*] ACPI Support
          <*>   Button

Compile and re-boot into new kernel

emerge acpid

change the uncommented lines in /etc/acpi/events/default to read
event=.*
action=chvt 1

execute the commands...
/etc/init.d/acpid start      (to start acpid now)
rc-update add acpid default  (to automatically start acpid at future bootups)

  Notes:
  - When testing, I suggest executing "sync" as a precaution, just
    before pressing the "big power button".

  - PCs also have a smaller power button which is hard-wired to shutdown
    or re-boot.  Do not press that button.

  - After editing /etc/acpi/events/default run the command
/etc/init.d/acpid restart
    to force acpid to read in the new config

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>