On Sunday 07 June 2009 03:28:21 William Kenworthy wrote:

> > As for the OP, I can only guess what might be causing this. Let's start
> > with obvious stuff:
> >
> > 1. Is portage the latest version for your arch?
> > 2. What does revdep-rebuild return?
> > 3. What is your arch, and is it a mixture of stable and ~?
>
> The system is quite a few years old - the original install was ~2000,
> and has quite a few hardware upgrades/rebuilds in between.  Current (for
> at least a couple of years) cpu is amd athlon barton 2500+.
>
> Software is a mix of stable, ~x86 and pinned (mostly particular ~x86 at
> the time) working versions to avoid some of the upgrade treadmill.

Your libusb is currently latest, your portage-utils and portage are not.

I honestly think that debugging this will be an exercise in futility unless
you can find a reference somewhere that says which versions of which portage
tools are incompatible with which other ones, and why...

I'm also not sure anymore about which portage version was first to support
sets. What I did was blow my top at the forced downgrade of portage at Zac's
whim, and unmasked portage. Lots of troubles immediately and at once went away
when I did this.

I'd suggest you switch to ~arch and tolerate the upgrade treadmill. A lot of
that is packages that are rapidly and often changing. If you sync and upgrade
once a week or fortnight, you'll find you upgrade package X just once, not
several times during that period.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com