On 9 Jun 2009, at 08:15, Jason Carson wrote:
Hmmmm, I tried emerging hostapd normally and I noticed this...

* Enabling Wi-Fi Protected Setup support
* Enabling drivers:
*   HostAP driver enabled
*   Wired driver enabled
*   Prism54 driver enabled
*   Madwifi driver enabled
*   nl80211 driver enabled

...which says that nl80211 is enabled, yet the defconfig file in the tar
ball shows this line commented out so I am confused as to how I fix my
problem...

#CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=y

In my experience this notation will be used to suggest the default.

I.E. if there's no entry for CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211 (or it's commented out) then the option will be enabled by default.

If the config file said
#CONFIG_DRIVER_NL80211=n
then I would tend to assume that the option will be disabled by default, and that this line needs uncommenting and changing in order to enable it.

I can't say that everyone uses this convention, or even that I've ever read it stated, but 1) if I look at /etc/ssh/sshd_config, for example, all the options that I've set myself are lines I've had to uncomment AND change. 2) the compiler / build tool says it's building your module, anyway. Who cares what the config file says?

Stroller.