On Tue, Jun 9, 2009 at 5:50 PM, Harry Putnam<rea...@newsguy.com> wrote:
> I've just completed first part of a fresh install.
>
> Mounted the new root and emerged a few things while still chrooted.
>
> It'd be difficult to list quickly since I can't boot it, but the
> highlights are:
>
> eix
> genkernel
> gentoolkit
> gentoolkit-dev
> gentoo-sources
> grub
> lynx
> ntp
> reiserfsprogs
> rsyslog
> vim
> vixie-cron
>
> And a number of dependancies pulled in from my use flags.
>
> I didn't want to start from scratch dinking around with kernel params
> so elected to go the `genkernel all' route, hoping that with that much
> junk being compiled... surely I'd get whatever I needed to start the
> process of building up this installation.
>
> I realize there are many who have lots of rants against genkernel but
> unless you think that is the core of the problem... please hold off on
> advice to build my own kenel.
>
> kernel = 2.6.29-r5
>
> What I see on reboot:
>
> Normal booting appears to be going along then moments after dev is
> mounted followed by filesystems... a massive screen full of text
> begins scrolling by and never stops.
>
> Impossible to read any of the text and neither pause/break or
> scroll/lock keys have any effect.
>
> Appears to be a continuous wrapping line repeated.
>
> But it completely kills the boot process, and no further progress is
> possible.
>
> I really have no idea what to change when I boot off the install media.

You emerged reiserfsprogs before the machine was up and running. Does
this somehow imply that you are trying to boot from a Reiser partition
and could that be part of the problem?

Does the machine have a serial port and do you have access to a second
machine that you could capture and save the early boot messages? That
might be helpful. I know many machine now don't support that. There
may be ways to do something similar over the network or USB if the
boot gets that far.

- Mark