On 6/10/09, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> P. S.  Ain't it funny that everybody has a different way of doing the
> same thing?  And a different tool for each one.

No, the suggested commands aren't all even doing the same thing.
Especially emerge -e world is an outlier. On a box with a "lazy" or a
"first time install, learning Gentoo" admin it's likely to give a very
different result from most of the others.

As the OP hasn't given a reason or motivation why he needs the package
list, what it is for, we can only make assumptions and throw out wild
guesses.

After all, he might even be after emerge -pv --depclean, as it, too,
sort of prints out pretty much all packages on the system. Not to
mention a few thousand lines of dependency information. :)

--
Arttu V.