  From: Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk>
  Subject: Re: Append string on Kernel builds
  Newsgroups: gmane.linux.gentoo.user
  To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
  Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 14:11:22 +0000

  On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:43:56 -0600, rea...@newsguy.com wrote:

  > I like to use that and put `-$MYHOST' as string.  I wondered if
  > there is any way to set a numericly incrementing string.  Maybe
  > some trick syntax that can go in that spot?

  cd /usr/src/linux
  echo "-${MYHOST}-" >localversion1
  ln -s .version localversion2

  The build system adds the contents of any localversion* files it
  finds, and it also increments .version.

But when I try this I get only the $MYHOST part (in this case
host=reader) and not the increment.

So for linux-2.6.30-gentoo-r1

and in /usr/src/linux
 cat localverion1:
  _reader_

Cat .version:
  1
And the symlink
 ls -l localversion2
 lrwxrwxrwx [...] Jun 12 18:01 localversion2 -> .version
I get this naming after a build:

  vimlinuz-2.6.30-gentoo-r1_reader_

No version gets appended.

I understood it should have also append the numeric version and
increment it each time I build that kernel.

Anyone see where I'm dorking this up?