On Tuesday 23 June 2009 17:49:40 James wrote:
> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:

> > * removes masking keywords if the package is stable on your arch
> > ~* removes masking keywords if the package is stable on any arch
> > ** removes masking keywords for the package unconditionally
>
> none of these worked for the
> xz-utils package. Can we find a simple example that does work?
> (not enlightenment).....?

You want "app-arch/xz-utils **" in package.keywords. It is blocked by lzma,
but that entry does at least get the emerge past the mask stage:

nazgul xz-utils # echo "app-arch/xz-utils ~*" >
/etc/portage/package.keywords/temp
nazgul xz-utils # emerge -av1 xz-utils

Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "app-arch/xz-utils" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- app-arch/xz-utils-9999 (masked by: missing keyword)

For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

nazgul xz-utils # echo "app-arch/xz-utils **" >
/etc/portage/package.keywords/temp
nazgul xz-utils # emerge -av1 xz-utils

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ] app-arch/xz-utils-9999  0 kB
[blocks B     ] app-arch/lzma-utils ("app-arch/lzma-utils" is blocking app-
arch/xz-utils-9999)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com