Peter Humphrey writes:

> On Wednesday 24 June 2009 12:28:05 Alex Schuster wrote:
> > man sed answers your second question :)
>
>  s/regexp/replacement/
>      Attempt to match regexp against the pattern space. If successful,
>      replace that portion matched with replacement. The replacement may
>      contain the special character & to refer to that portion of the
> pattern space which matched, and the special escapes \1 through \9 to
> refer to the corresponding matching sub-expressions in the regexp.
>
> No mention of using a different separator, and I couldn't find any other
> reference either. I did look before asking.

Oh, sorry. I thought the german man pages were just translations of the
original man pages, but at least the one for sed is entirely different. It
also mentions the flags like g to replace globally, not only the first
instance.

Here is the OpenBSD man page for sed, it has more information. However, this
sed is a little different from our GNU sed. For example, it does not have
the -i option.

http://www.rocketaware.com/man/man1/sed.1.htm

        Wonko