Alan E. Davis wrote:

> I try to keep up to date, but I am not a computer scientist, so I often will
> tolerate some sloppiness in the system, and may overlook maintainance.

You can certainly overlook maintenance with Gentoo, and mainly do
security updates only. The problem is that Gentoo is in a constant
"running change mode", i.e. all individual packages (applications etc.)
are continually upgraded and you will eventually fall behind if you
don't keep up, making it difficult to catch up without reinstalling
(there are no Gentoo versions as in the binary distro sense). On the
other hand Gentoo gives you a lot of freedom to tweak the installed
software to fit your precise needs, something that binary distros
doesn't allow. This is the reason why I use Gentoo.

HTH

Best regards

Peter K