Hello,

I'm working on upgrading a very old Gentoo system for my work.

Some software is only running well in 2.4.x kernels, and when doing other
updates I inadvertently updated past glibc-2.3.5, and so now the 2.4 kernel
does not boot (Fatal error, kernel too old).  Fortunately there is a 2.6
kernel on the system so I can still boot.  I should have been operating on a
no-nptl profile.

Although I stopped the upgrade not longer after upgrading glibc, attempting
to downgrading glibc is just about the worst thing I could do.  But I don't
really know what other options there are, and I've been Googling for hours
and hours and no solutions.

Is there any known workaround for booting a 2.4 kernel on a system with
glibc-2.9 installed?  I thought perhaps if there is a way to re-install
glibc without nptl (assuming linuxthreads are still around in glibc-2.9)
then it might work, but not sure how to do that.

I'm very sad right now.

Regards,
daid