Thank you to members of this list who have gotten me through a couple
of serious issues.  I have another one.

My system reboots at seemingly random times.  Usually, this happens
during keyboard or mouse input.  I have been using kernel 2.6.30-r2.
Often this happens when using firefox, but not exclusively.

When I checked my machine, it had an uptime of nearly 4 hours after
the last reboot, when I had not logged in.  However, after logging in,
I experienced two reboots in rapid succession.

Interestingly, after I recompiled the kernel, enabling more modules of
I2C stuff, to enable hardware monitoring for my Motherboard, the
system has seemed to become less stable, and reboots readily.

I usually use nvidia non-freedom drivers.  I am now typing with the
x11 drivers, and the system has not rebooted.  I am now also using
2.6.29-r5.

Once such things happened to me because I had a file with a filename
starting with "_" in my filesystem.  Everytime I started nautilus,
firefox, or epiphany, the system would crash.  This was some long time
ago.

I have three SATA drives installed, with a plethora of partitions.

I am not sure where to look in logs to look for evidence of problems.
May I set up the system to trap for such useful information?

Alan Davis

 "...can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but
you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

    -- Woody Allen, quoted by B. A. Palevitz