On 18 Jul 2009, at 09:49, Konstantinos Agouros wrote:
... Is there a
way that the guest recognizes the wakeup and than sets the time using ntpdate
or based on the clock of the host-os which is ntp-synchronized?

I doubt it. I know little about virtualisation, so am ready to be proved wrong on that one.

I can only think to make a cron job to call an ntp pool on a regular basis. I think there may be a switch to ntp which allows it to make larger jumps.

The problem with this is that etiquette would tend to dictate not syncing with the upstream ntp server more than once per hour, so each time you wake it up your clock is going to be wrong for an average of 45 minutes (allowing for Sod's Law). Solution that occurs to me is to run your own local ntp server on another machine which doesn't sleep (or on the host Mac itself) and sync with that; thus your cron job can run every minute to update the clock, and the time it takes to correct after waking will be insignificant.

Or sleep or hibernate the guest o/s before sleeping the host.

Stroller.

PS: shouldn't the correct virtualisation terminology be "host o/s" and "parasite o/s"? Methinks the marketing department were allowed to write the docs on this one.