Alan McKinnon writes:

> On Tuesday 28 July 2009 09:39:40 Alex Schuster wrote:

> > man 5 exports (at least my localized german version) lists the
> > map_daemon option, which allows mapping of UIDs / GIDs between server
> > and client. This needs the rpc.ugidd to be running on server side.
> > I never did this, I don't even know where to get rpc.ugidd from, and
> > I'm pretty sure it won't work at all with opensolaris, but at least
> > with linux it should be possible then, theoretically.

> That's good to know - I don't have anything like that here in my man
> pages.

Well, at east the sed man page in german is quite different from the
englisch one, maybe that's the case here, too. Does yours explain the
(no_)subtree_check option? I had t look them up online.

> I have nfs-utils-1.2.0, what version are you running?

1.1.4-r1.

Bug #116269 from end of 2005 misses the rpc.ugidd, the answer there is that
nfs-utils does not yet support it. And I doubt it ever will, I just read
that this is a feature of user space NFS, which seems to be deprecated. A
kernel based NFS does not have it.

So, so seem to be right, ID mapping just is not possible (any more).

But what about NFS v4? Is has user authentification, maybe then there's a
mapping feature, too?

        Wonko